Monday, February 22, 2010

Awesome people supporting an awesome cause

I've been talking online with the woman in the UK who organized the orphanage sponsorship program about where the greatest needs are for any funds I can raise. We agree that an education fund is definitely needed. We started breaking down the costs - and I'd be lying to say it wasn't a little overwhelming. (Can I seriously raise that much money?)

But just when I get a seed of doubt, I got ten times more encouragement as the day went on.

I wanted to give a huge shout out to some people who are helping the fundraise forge ahead! Cindy Lepine and Monica have volunteered to come over tomorrow night and learn how to make bookmarks. I really need help with this because it was a killer trying to make all those bookmarks for Xmas! I've had quite a few people ask for them since I've come home. Also, my awesome Aunt Judy in Midland has offered to sell "as many as she can" for us.

I went to the shops today to pick up the supplies. I got talking to the girls at Fancy Beads on Queen Street about the orphanage. They are keen to get involved and have offered to donate some of the personal jewelry pieces to raise funds. AND - while I was there, I met Tony who runs Sully's Boxing Gym (and also is a jewelry designer). He overheard our conversation and offered to let us use his space if ever we want to do an event. It's a very cool space and a world-famous boxing gym - even Ali and George Chuvalo have trained there! So who knows what the possibilities are!

And the best part of the day was that my long-time friend, Bernard Petersen, who lives in Boston offered to cover the costs of ALL of the supplies. I bought enough for another 100 bookmarks, so that means another $1000 for the orphanage. **Awesome -Thank you B!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment